L2TP Client: Mobile Broadband Routers
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is for Huawei Gigacube type devices, typically supplied by the big mobile providers.
- Log in to the web interface of the mobile broadband router, usually http://192.168.1.1
- Go to VPN
- Enable L2TP: - Enable
- LNS address: l2tp.aa.net.uk
- Host Name: AAISP
- PPP username: your login, eg email@example.com
- PPP password: your password
- Click Apply
You can then use our https://ip.help.me.uk page to show your IP address - which should be the one we've asigned you.
Note: Port forwarding on some 'Mobile Broadband' routers
- We have reports from a few customers who are using 4G/5G mobile data routers for 'mobile broadband' that whilst they do support L2TP they do not appear to port forward the static IP on the L2TP. The web UI suggests that port forwarding can be configured, but this seems to only port forward the IP address on the mobile data connection and not the IP address on the L2TP connection.
- We suggest that customers should report this as a bug to the supplier/manufacturer of the router. eg, ask them "how can I port forward the IP given to my from the L2TP VPN connection"
- This can have an impact on using our L2TP service as these routers will be restricting the capabilities (ie port forwarding). A work-around is to to a separate ethernet router on your LAN to establish the tunnel - but that involves further work...