You'll need to use an ADSL or FTTC modem in bridge mode for this to work - see the page for your modem to see how to set that up.
This guide provides an example configuration for Debian Jessie.
= Prerequsites =
* '''eth0''' is plugged directly into your modem or ONT
* '''eth1''' will be used for your LAN
= Howto =
== Setting up pppd ==
pppd will be used to actually connect to A&A.
pppd pppoe iproute2
pppd uses several different configuration files:
'''/etc/ppp/options''' should be left as-is - we will not change this file.
=== /etc/ppp/peers/aaisp ===
This file contains the settings that are used to configure your connection to A&A:
* '''noauth''' - don't require A&A to send authentication details
* '''persist''' - automatically reconnect if the connection drops
* '''maxfail 0''' - sets
the the number of consecutive failed connection attempts before pppd gives up. Setting this to 0 means that pppd will retry forever
* '''mtu 1492''' - sets the max MTU for packets inside the PPP connection - 1492 is a "safe" value for PPPoE on most hardware. Some modems will be able to use "baby jumbo frames" (RFC 4638). See the "Using a full 1500 MTU" section for more details.
* '''noaccomp''' - disables address/control compression
* '''default-asyncmap''' - disables the
negotation of an asyncmap - forces all control characters to be escaped
* '''+ipv6''' - enable IPv6 support
* '''ipv6cp-use-ipaddr''' - use your IPv4 address as the local identifier for IPv6CP
* '''ifname pppoe-aaisp''' - renames the PPP connection from an automatically generated name (such as ppp0) to pppoe-aaisp - this makes further configuration easier!
=== /etc/ppp/chap-secrets ===
This file contains the password that is used to connect to A&A.
Replace "YourLinePasswordGoesHere" with the password for your A&A connection.
=== Making IPv6 work with pppd ===
Out of the box, you'll notice that you can't access the internet using IPv6.
This file will now be run every time your PPP connects, and will automatically create an IPv6 default route!
=== Testing pppd ===
Before you proceed, you should test your ppp configuration.