ASUS RT-AC68U Intial Setup
ASUS-RT-AC68U Initial Setup
Initial setup is completely painless: after connecting the Openreach VDSL modem to the WAN port, the quick setup utility works out of the box, detects PPPoE automatically and requests the user/password setting. This is followed by WLAN parameters and a suggested firmware upgrade, then everything is set.
By default IPv6 support is switched off, but it can be easily enabled in the web interface.
In firmware version 126.96.36.199.380_3831 the "native" IPv6 setting (using the PPP option) didn't quite work out. It automatically obtained my allocated /64 prefix alright and distributed it to my LAN, but had no default IPv6 gateway set. You can verify this in "System Log/IPv6".
Setting the IPv6 connection type to Static IPv6 solves the problem. The individual settings on the IPv6 page that worked are:
- Connection type: Static IPv6
- Interface: PPP
- WAN IPv6 Address: 2001:8b0:1111:1111:0:ffff:nnnn:nnnn (nnnn:nnnn is your static IPv4 address in hex)
- WAN prefix length: 128
- WAN IPv6 Gateway: fe80::xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx
- (The gateway address can be found in the main system log: look for
- "remote LL address" in one of the pppd log entries.)
- LAN IPv6 address: [your /64 prefix followed by ::1]
- LAN prefix length: 64
- Auto Configuration Setting: Stateless
- DNS servers: 2001:8b0::2020 / 2001:8b0::2021
- Enable Router Advertisement: Enable