These notes are based on version 13.5.2 2023
When Mail is first started it will ask for your email account type, click 'Other Mail Account…' and follow these notes:
If adding a new mail account to Mail, then go to: Mail - Add Account… - Other Mail Account - Continue... and follow these notes
- Click Other mail account, then Continue
- Enter in your Name, email address and password, click Sign in.
- It may give an error, that's fine, set some more settings:
- Account Type: IMAP (or POP if you prefer)
- Username: your full email address
- Incoming mail server: mail.aa.net.uk
- Outgoing mail server: smtp.aa.net.uk
- Click Sign in
- Untick 'Notes' if you don't need to use this account for notes.
- Email should now work, Apple Mail doesn't ask for security settings but it should work out what to do itself automatically. If not untick 'Automatically Manage Connection Settings'
- Then check authentication is set to 'password', check encryption is set to 'STARTTLS/SSL' and incoming port is '993', outgoing is set to '587'.
Note: Some Apple Mail App version default to emptying the Trash folder after 1 week. You may want to set this to Never in Account Settings